Official Website : MacrossF
Number of Episodes : 25
Vintage : 2008-4
Genre : Adventure, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Science Fiction
Theme : Mecha, Military, Music, Real Robot
Macross Frontier marks the 25th anniversary of the Macross anime franchise. It is a direct sequel to the first Macross series and Macross 7 and follows the lives of Alto Saotome, Ranka Lee and a pop idol named Sheryl Nome on board the Macross Frontier colonization fleet. After the war against the Zentradi aliens, Humankind has spread across the universe in order to ensure its survival. The Macross Frontier fleet is part of a effort to spread and maintain the culture of humanity.
Plot & Overview :
Macross Frontier is the story of a human space colony fleet trying to find a habitable planet near the center of the Milky Way Galaxy. The story focuses on three young adults and the events that occur around them as the fleet faces a crisis of alien origin.
The new show celebrates the 25th anniversary of the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series (1982-1983), and is chronologically subsequent to Macross 7 (1994-1996). This third TV series introduces Earth's latest main variable fighter, the VF-25 Messiah (メサイア) and a new ship called the Macross Frontier. The show retains the signature space opera theme consistent with all series set in the Macross universe (which intertwine musical numbers with fast-paced variable fighter combat). New episodes aired weekly on the MBS network Thursdays at 01:55 and on the TBS network Fridays at 01:55 (the 24+ hour clock is a common Japanese TV broadcast notation). Three separate manga adaptations have been running in Shōnen Ace and Comp Ace, since February 2008, April 2008, and July 2008, respectively.
The series features the 25th New Macross-class Colonial Fleet, dubbed the Macross Frontier, en route to the galactic center. This heavily populated interstellar fleet (consisting of numerous civilian vessels and their military escorts) contains a makeup of both human occupants and their Zentradi allies. As such, many of the Macross Frontier's companion vessels appear to merge more metallic Human designs with organic Zentradi aesthetics. On the Macross timeline, the story is set in the year 2059, 47 years after the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross, 19 years after Macross Plus and 14 years after the story of Macross 7. Macross Frontier's plot explores a combination of action/political intrigue/space drama more than previous Macross series have done in the past.
As the series begin, during a mission to an unexplored asteroid belt a reconnaissance New U.N. Spacy (N.U.N.S.) VF-171 is destroyed by extremely powerful and fast insectoid biomechanical alien mecha known as the "Vajra", (バジュラ), which immediately begin their attack on the rest of the fleet. Unable to stop the new enemy threat, the N.U.N.S. Colonial Defense Forces authorize the deployment of a Civilian Military Provider organization called S.M.S. (Strategic Military Services) which utilizes the new VF-25 Messiah variable fighter to combat the alien menace.
(早乙女 アルト (novel：早乙女 有人), Saotome Aruto)
Voiced by: Yuichi Nakamura
Age: 16 → 17
- A high school student in the Mihoshi Academy Pilot Training course. As a result of his fine features and long hair he is often mistaken for a girl at first glance, even receiving the nickname 'Hime' (Princess). His appearance was revealed to have been inherited from his late mother, Miyo. Despite this, he is otherwise a rather normal, though somewhat aloof and standoffish, boy. Born into a well-known Kabuki family, his persistent yearning for the skies has made for a thorny relationship with his father. Alto is now undertaking pilot courses at Mihoshi Academy. He constantly frets about living aboard Macross Frontier due to the lack of a true 'sky'. After getting the chance to pilot the VF-25 Messiah variable fighter (due to its original pilot, Henry Gilliam, being killed by a large type Vajra) his flying skills bring the attention of Ozma Lee, who accepts him as a candidate for the S.M.S. Skull Squadron. He has developed emotional bonds with both Ranka Lee and Sheryl Nome despite not knowing how he truly feels for the two of them. When S.M.S. grew suspicious of Leon and broke away from the Frontier fleet, Alto was one of the few S.M.S. members who stayed behind on Frontier. He later joins the N.U.N.S. forces and is assigned to the 4th Fighter Wing as squad leader (3 fighters) with call sign Sagittarius-1. As a result, he was given a new VF-171EX variable fighter. After being told by Leon Mishima that Ranka may become a tool for the Vajra in their war against mankind, Alto vows to kill her if necessary to save the Macross Frontier fleet. He was presumed dead after his VF-171EX was destroyed by Brera Sterne's VF-27 during the initial stages of the final battle between the Macross Frontier fleet and the Vajra. However, Alto reveals he had ejected from the VF-171EX before it was shot down. He then resumes the fight in his original VF-25 Messiah, stopping Grace O'Connor with Michel's sniper rifle while being aided by Brera who had broken free from Grace's control. As the Frontier fleet lands on the Vajra home planet, he ejects from his damaged VF-25 in his EX-Gear, giving the fighter a final salute as he fulfills his dream of flying in a real sky. He is last shown flying over Sheryl and Ranka as they await him on the ground.
- As part of the 25th Anniversary Tribute, Alto is shown mimicking scenes from the previous Macross series:
- The scene where Alto saves Ranka for the first time is a nod to when Hikaru Ichijyo rescues Lynn Minmay
- While controlling his VF-25 in slave mode, he uses the same flying hand motion as Isamu Alva Dyson
- His salute to Sheryl Nome in the final episode is a nod to a similar scene in The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?
- When his fighter is rising to the surface to be launched, that scene and the one in which Alto raises his head is very similar to those shown in the opening of the original Macross when Hikaru and his Valkyrie rise to the surface.
(ランカ・リー, Ranka Ri)
Voiced by: Megumi Nakajima
Age: 16, Born: 04/29/2043
Height: 156 cm
Weight: 42 kg
Blood type: O
Social security code: 624-31-9124
- Ranka is a petite, lively and cheerful (although naive) teenage girl with green hair. She suffered from amnesia as a result from witnessing the destruction of the 117th Long Distance Research Fleet in which her biological family perished. She is one-quarter Zentradi, which gives her the ability to have her hair move on its own according to her feelings as well as an above-average resistance to the vacuum of space. As the adopted younger sister of S.M.S. ace Ozma Lee, she initially attends an all-girl's high school at the urging of her brother while working part-time at the Chinese restaurant "Nyan-Nyan". She later transfers to the Mihoshi Academy to facilitate her singing career after being discovered at the Miss Macross contest and an ensuing movie. Ranka started off as a huge fan of Sheryl Nome as she loved singing since her childhood and had dreamt of becoming a singer. She develops a crush on Alto Saotome, especially after being rescued by him when the Vajra first attacked the Macross Frontier fleet. It is revealed that she has a deep connection to the Vajra as her songs confuse them and she feels severe pain whenever large amounts of Vajra are killed in her vicinity. The exact nature of this ability has been explained as the result of her mother's exposure to the "V-Type" infection during pregnancy. Ranka is referred to as the "little queen" by Grace O'Connor, suggesting that her relation to the Vajra may be more than it seems. In episode 21, she leaves the Macross Frontier fleet (along with her bodyguard Brera Sterne) while trying to deliver her Vajra pet "Ai-Kun" to the rest of its species. She and Brera eventually find the planet of origin of the Vajra. Ranka is captured by them just as she recalls her past and realizes that Brera is her biological brother. While being held on the Vajra planet, she realizes that everything that happened to the 117th fleet was her fault because her singing attracted the Vajra. Grace O'Connor manages to manipulate Ranka into compromising the Vajra fold communication network, allowing her (Grace) to send the Vajra against the incoming Macross Frontier fleet during their final battle. However, with the help of Alto and company, she manages to break free from Grace's influence and rallies the Vajra to side with the Frontier fleet to defeat Grace. In the final scene, she is seen telling Sheryl that she will not allow herself to lose, whether in singing or in love.
- Known as the "Galactic Fairy(or Nymph)", she is a pop idol from Macross Galaxy fleet who had constantly topped music charts leading people to say that it was impossible not to hear her songs if you lived in this galaxy. As such, her popularity was soaring just as high in the Galaxy's sister fleet, Macross Frontier. Due to her beauty and singing talent, she is a very proud and self-assured person. Sheryl recognizes the singing talent of Ranka Lee and often offers to help her 'behind the scenes' to realize her dream of singing. Sheryl's first encounter with Alto Saotome was when he served as a backup 'performer' at her first concert in Frontier. Eventually, she also develops a crush on him. It is later revealed that Sheryl is apparently a failed experimental subject called Fairy 9. She was "discarded" by Grace O'Connor on Galia 4, the latter stating that she had outlived her usefulness. However, Sheryl survives and makes her way back to Frontier together with Michael in his VF-25G. Confronting Grace O'Connor for sabotaging her career, she is reminded that she used to be an anonymous and homeless orphan girl living in Galaxy's slums where Grace picked her up for the Fairy 9 project. Grace also reveals that Sheryl is suffering from a terminal "V-Type" infection and will soon die in the absence of a cure. Crushed by the revelation, she almost quits singing altogether if not for Alto's encouragement and the desperation brought on by a vicious Vajra assault on Frontier. While Sheryl is singing for a charity concert, Luca Angelloni discovers that her infection gives her similar abilities to those of Ranka Lee in producing fold waves through her singing, albeit to a lesser extent. Leon's administration immediately seeks her help, instantly resurrecting her singing career for the final assault against the Vajra. A messaged photograph found by Ozma and the rest of the S.M.S. deserters in the remains of the 117th fleet suggests that Sheryl Nome is in fact Dr. Mao Nome's biological granddaughter, her fold quartz earrings possibly inherited from Mao. It also suggests that her mother fell on hard times shortly after the "death" of her grandmother. During the final battle, Ranka Lee cures Sheryl's infection by sending the "V-Type" microbes from her brain into her abdomen, resulting in Sheryl having the same capability as Ranka to link up with the Vajra through singing. Sheryl then joins Ranka in rallying the Vajra to side with the Frontier fleet and defeat Grace. In the final scene, she along with Ranka, welcomes Alto onto the Vajra home planet and accepts Ranka's friendly challenge on singing and love.
So its a Love Triangle ♥. xD Ranka x Alto x Sheryl. Who will win his heart? WOOO! Can't wait for the movie leh! When is it coming T_T.
I really liked this anime. Seriously, it's one of the best ones I've watched. It's #2nd or #3rd on my fave anime list now XD. I can't explain how GREAT ^_^b issit, cause I'm bad at words yaayaya. It makes my whole body shiver in chill the whole time. Wanted to cry a few times but couldn't, nono it's not because it's sad, I'm soo proud of them ToT!!! Seeing them saving people they love, fight to protect bla bla bla. This often appear in other show also I know!! =.= Aiyooh! Tonikaku, watch it then you know laa~! HIGHLY RECOMMEND. One of the best, I SWEAR. ;)
I get excited the most when it comes to whether Ranka or Sheryl or both of them starts to sing. Don't care whether it's to save people or for entertainment. What excites me most is! XD Since both of them like Alto, they're singing spirit is because of him, they sing because of him, they sing only just for him!!!! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~~~ ♥ !! Hao gan dong TwT... If only I'm good @ explaining. Awww...
More pics to go :D
Mostly if you watch the show you'll love ALL the songs, xD.
Infinity - シェリル・Sheryl Norm starring Mayn
Welcome To My FanClubs Night! (Sheryl On Stage) - シェリル・Sheryl Norm starring Mayn
Aimo - Megumi Nakajima
Anata no Oto - Megumi Nakajima
Diamond Crevasse - Sheryl Nome(May'n)
Iteza Gogo Kuji Don be late - Sheryl Nome(May'n)
Yousei 妖精 - シェリル・ノーム starring Mayn
What bout my star?@Formo - 中島愛[Nakajima Ai]
Triangular - 坂本真綾[Sakamoto Maaya]
Ao no Ether - Megumi Nakajima
Ai Oboete Imasuka - Megumi Nakajima
Neko Nikki - Megumi Nakajima
Northern Cross - May'n
Lion - Mayn、中島愛
Followed by Infinity, Yousei, Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't Be Late.
Slow and sad ones are Aimo, Ao no Ether, Ai Oboete Imasuka, Diamond Crevasse, What About My Star Formo.
Got one more song, Triangular sang by Megumi and May'n. But can't find it =.=V
Most of the song lyrics written by Gabriela Robin. Composition and arrangement by Yoko Kanno. Both are the same people, and she's really well known. Her official web is here .
^ Her name is May'n (May Nakabayashi) ^
She is Sheryl Nome's voice singer.
And she's only 19!
More info about her, here.
May'n Official Site here.
^ Megumi Nakajima ^
Ranka's cast and voice singer.
She's also 19! :O!
Not bad right?! XD
She's half jap and filipina if I'm not wrong. :)
More info, here.
Megumi Nakajima Official, here.